The 2013 Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend begins in only 9 days!! Since this is my first time out to Disneyland (are you sick of hearing that yet?!?), I’ve been reviewing all of the race instructions to make sure I know everything that is going on. I’m much more comfortable on race day when I know exactly when and where I have to be!
The following instructions include all of the information you will need about the Half Marathon, 10K, 5K, Dumbo Double Dare Challenge and Kids Races. Let’s take a look (click on the image for a larger version):
The weekend kicks off with the Health & Fitness Expo on Friday, August 30th. The Expo will take place in the Exhibit Hall of the Disneyland Hotel and the hours are as follows:
- Friday, August 30th: 10:00 am – 8:00 pm
- Saturday, August 31st: 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
All race participants must first go to the Lower Exhibit Hall to turn in signed waivers (click here to print your waiver) and pick-up your race bib. This is also where you will receive any commemorative items you may have purchased during registration. You will then proceed to the Upper Exhibit Hall to get your shirt and gEAR bag. If you are unable to attend the expo, you can arrange for an absentee pick-up by filing out an authorization form (found here) and providing the person picking up your bib with a photo copy of your ID and signed waiver.
The following is all of the information you will need for Race Day.
- Resort Transportation For the entire race weekend, complimentary Anaheim Transportation Network (ART) shuttles will be transporting runners and spectators from select Good Neighbor Hotels to the Disneyland Esplanade. I love that runDisney is providing this transportation! So convenient. If staying at a Good Neighbor hotel, make sure to check with the front desk for a schedule. The shuttles are scheduled to make stops every 20 minutes during the following times:
- Friday, August 30th: 6:20 am – 12:30 am
- Saturday, August 31st: 3:30 am – 11:30 pm
- Sunday, September 1st: 3;00 am – 11:30 pm
- Driving Directions Roads will be closing early for the various race courses, so it is advised to avoid driving if possible. If you are driving, parking will be available in the Mickey & Friends Parking Structure. Just make sure to leave enough time for traffic delays on the mornings of the races.
- Costumes This is one of the best parts of Disney races! Even though I’m not a costume person, I love to see how creative everyone gets! Please note that runners are NOT allowed to wear a face mask of any kind and will be removed from the course if this is violated.
- Bag Check Participants must use the clear bag provided at the expo to check any belongings during the race and affix the label with their bib number on the outside. Bag check will be located in the Lilo Parking Lot/Family Reunion Area. All bags must be checked by 5:30 am for the 10K and 5:00 am for the Half Marathon prior to heading into the start corrals. Bags must be picked up by 8:30 am for the 10K and by 10:30 am for the half marathon at the same location.
- Start Corrals The start corrals are located on Disneyland Drive between Mickey Way and Paradise Way. Your corral will be listed on your race bib and you will only be granted access to that corral or one behind you. You can find your corral placement by printing your waiver and finding the corresponding corral for your bib number. I will be in Corral E for the Dumbo Double Dare Challenge, so make sure to come say hi!
- Starting Times Runners are encouraged to arrive to the staging area no later than one hour prior to the race start time and be in your assigned corrals no later than 30 minutes prior.
- Saturday, August 31st
- Disneyland 5K: 5:30 am
- Disneyland 10K: 6:15 am
- Sunday, September 1st
- Disneyland Half Marathon Wheelchair Start: 5:29 am
- Disneyland Half Marathon Runner Start: 5:30 am
- Saturday, August 31st
- Race Bibs Bibs must be centered on the front of your shirt. Safety pins will be provided in your race packet at the expo. Do not bend our fold your bib, as the ChronoTrack B-tag will be affixed to the back of the bib which will be used to track your time. If your bib is not properly centered, damaged or covered, your time may not be recorded properly. Your bib will also be used for the on course photographers, so make sure the number is clearly visible…oh and smile for the camera 🙂
- Pacing Requirements Remember, you must keep a minimum of 16-minutes per mile throughout the race or you will run the risk of being picked up and brought to the finish line. Keep this in mind if you a planning to stop for character photos. Those lines can get long and it’s easy to lose track of time. Pace cyclists will be on the course to let you know if you have fallen behind.
- Dumbo Double Dare Challenge Participants If you are participating in this challenge, you will receive a wristband after finishing the Disneyland 10K on Saturday. This must be worn while running the Disneyland Half Marathon. After completing the Disneyland Half Marathon, you will need to present this wristband at the Dumbo Double Dare tent to receive your medal.
- Coast to Coast Challenge Participants If you are participating in this challenge, you will receive a wristband when you pick up your bib at the Health & Fitness Expo. This must be worn while running the Disneyland Half Marathon. After completing the race, you will need to present this wristband at the Coast to Coast tent to receive your medal.