Final race instructions are now available for the Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend! It starts in only 2 weeks…I’m freaking out a bit!
The following instructions include all of the information you will need about the Marathon, Half Marathon and Goofy’s Race and a Half Challenge. Let’s take a look (click on the image for a larger version):
If you are looking for information on some of the other events during the weekend, you can find instructions here:
The Health & Fitness Expo kicks off the weekend on Thursday, January 10th. The Expo will take place at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex (WWOS) and the hours are as follows:
- Thursday, January 8th: 9:00 am – 7:00 pm
- Friday, January 9th: 9:00 am – 7:00 pm
- Saturday, January 10th: 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
All race participants MUST attend the expo to turn in signed waivers (click here to print your waiver) and pick-up race packets, which include your race bib with B-Tag timing devices, race shirt, and goody bag. The goody bag also doubles as the bag to use for bag check during the race. This is also where you will receive any commemorative items you may have purchased during registration. If you are unable to attend the expo, instructions are included on how to have someone pick-up your packet for you. As a reminder, packet pick-up is located in the HP Field House along with the speaker presentations and official race merchandise. Pick-up for your race shirt and goody bag are located in the Jostens Center with all of the exhibitor and sponsor booths.
Also included on the first page of the race instructions are some helpful race etiquette tips like how to handle water and food stations and how it is important to keep moving so other runners can get by. We don’t want any runner crashes!
The following is all of the information you will need for Race Day.
- Host Resort Transportation All Walt Disney World resorts, including Shades of Green and Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort, will have transportation available to bring participants to and from ALL events during Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend. The only event that transportation will NOT be provided for is the Cool Down Party at Downtown Disney.
- Monorail service will be available for guests staying at the Contemporary, Grand Floridian and Polynesian Resorts beginning at 3:00 am. You will need to transfer monorails at the Transportation & Ticket Center, so make sure to leave enough time to get to Epcot.
- All other resorts will have bus service that will begin at 3:00 am and runners must be on a bus by 4:00 am to ensure they make it into their corrals by the 5:00 am cut-off time. I have heard many horror stories about traffic around events this weekend, so I would say the earlier the better. Shuttle service will be suspended between 5:00 am and 7:00 am because of road closures, but will recommence for spectators after 7:00 am.
- Driving Directions If not staying at a host resort, participants will need to provide their own transportation to all events. Event Disney says EXPECT SIGNIFICANT DELAYS! Road closures will begin at 3:30 am, so you will want to try to arrive at Epcot before that. If that isn’t possible, be sure to arrive at Epcot by 4:30 am since it is about a 20 minute walk to the starting corrals from the parking lot and you must be in there by 5:00 am.
- Costumes This is one of the best parts of Disney races…the costumes! Runners get so creative and it’s so fun to see. Please note that runners are NOT allowed to wear a face mask of any kind and will be removed from the course if this is violated.
- Bag Check Participants must use the clear bag provided at the expo to check any belongings during the race and affix the label with their bib number on the outside. The bag check tents are located in the Family Reunion Area in the Epcot parking lot. All bags must be checked by 4:30 am prior to walking over to the start corrals. Bags must be picked up by 10:30 am for the half marathon and by 2:30 pm for the marathon at the same location.
- Start Corrals The start corrals are located on Epcot Center Drive. It takes about 20 minutes to walk to the starting corrals from the holding area, so you will want to head over there no later than 4:30 am. Your corral will be listed on your race bib and you will only be granted access to that corral or one behind you. You can find your corral placement by printing your waiver and finding the corresponding corral for your bib number. I will be in Corral G for the marathon, so make sure to come say hi!
- Starting Times The following are scheduled start times for both the marathon and half marathon:
- 5:30 am – Wheelchair Start
- 5:35 am – Corral A Start
- 5:42 am – Corral B Start
- 5:49 am – Corral C Start
- 5:56 am – Corral D Start
- 6:03 am – Corral E Start
- 6:10 am – Corral F Start
- 6:17 am – Corral G Start
- 6:24 am – Corral H Start
- Race Bibs Bibs must be centered on the front of your shirt. Safety pins will be provided in your race packet at the expo. Do not bend our fold your bib, as the ChronoTrack B-tag will be affixed to the back of the bib which will be used to track your time. If your bib is not properly centered, damaged or covered, your time may not be recorded properly. Your bib will also be used for the on course photographers, so make sure the number is clearly visible…oh and smile for the camera 🙂
- Pacing Requirements Remember, you must keep a minimum of 16-minutes per mile throughout the race or you will run the risk of being picked up and brought to the finish line. Keep this in mind if you a planning to stop for character photos. Those lines can get long and it’s easy to lose track of time. Pace cyclists will be on the course to let you know if you have fallen behind.
- Goofy’s Race and a Half Challenge Participants If you are participating in this challenge, you will need to proceed to the Goofy Tent after you complete the marathon for verification in order to receive your medal. You can find the ten in the map below.