With 2 nighttime races coming up, The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler and the Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon, I’ve been thinking about this topic a lot lately. How do I prepare for these nighttime events??
All of my training takes place during the day. I try to get my runs in in the morning and CrossFit is generally in the early evening. I have a pretty good eating regimen down and I know how my body will react. I’ve been thinking about trying to get some late night runs in before the first race, but to be honest I’m not all that comfortable with it. Even with proper reflective gear (which I don’t own yet), being a female running alone in the dark makes me a little nervous. Yes, I could run on the treadmill, but that just doesn’t seem as effective when adjusting to nighttime running. So I’ve decided to wing it for the first race and see how it goes.
However, I do have a game plan for the days leading up to The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler for nutrition, rest, etc… Here’s what I have so far:
September 24 – 27, 2012
- Eat strictly Paleo
- Drink a minimum of 100 oz of water per day
- CrossFit – Mon, Wed, Thu
- Minimum 7 hours of sleep per night (preferably 8)
September 28, 2012
- 3:30 am wake-up call for flight to MCO
- Breakfast: Boma at 10:30 am – stick to protein, light carbs and tons of veggies
- Packet Pick-Up and tour the Health & Fitness Expo
- Catch the tail end of the BOGP meet-up around World Showcase
- Check into Boardwalk Villas and take a nap
- Dinner: Flying Fish Cafe at 6:10 pm – salads, fish and take it easy on the dessert and cocktails
- Return to Epcot for Illuminations
- Early to bed
- Drink a minimum of 100 oz of water
- 6:00 am wake-up call to cheer on the 5K runners!
- Breakfast: Kouzzina at 9:45 am – Turkey Sweet Potato Hash baby! And maybe a Bloody Mary…
- Relax by the pool and take a nap
- Stroll around Food & Wine Festival for a light lunch
- Dinner: Portobello at 4:00 pm – split a pizza and grilled chicken entree
- Keep drinking TONS of water!
- Take a nap
- Head over to DHS at 7:30 pm
- Snack of bagel with peanut butter and a banana at 9:00 pm
- Gu before race start
- Beer at the finish line 🙂