I must admit that I am pretty jealous of everyone heading out to California today for the Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend. Not only because I really want that coveted Coast to Coast medal, but because I’ve never been to Disneyland! I know this is crazy for a huge Disney fan like myself to never have been to the place where it all began, but Walt Disney World has always been my home. It wasn’t until recently that I’ve gotten the itch to visit the west coast park.
So this got me to thinking…what if I WAS going to Disneyland this weekend to run the half marathon? What would I do? Here’s my dream weekend…
Thursday, August 30th
- Arrive at the Disneyland Resort around 3:30 pm after my early morning flight from the east coast.
- Check in at the Grand Californian Hotel.
- Head over the Disneyland Park (DL) to take a walk down Main Street USA and walk in Walt’s footsteps. 🙂
- Finally have dinner at Napa Rose…something I’ve been dying to do! The menu changes seasonally, but here’s a sample.
- Watch World of Color from the balcony of my room before crashing after a long day of travel.
Friday, August 31st
- Get up bright and early for rope drop at Disney California Adventure (DCA) and beeline it over to Cars Land.
- Get a Fastpass and wait standby for Radiator Springs racers.
- Grab breakfast in Cars Land. I’m thinking the Bacon Scramble Cone at the Cozy Cone Motel or the Chicken Tamale Breakfast (YUM!!) at Flo’s V-8 Cafe.
- Explore the rest of Cars Land and some other areas of DCA.
- Head over to the Disneyland Hotel around noon for the Health & Fitness Expo to pick up my race packets and do some shopping!
- Visit Trader Sam’s for a light lunch and libations!
- Return to DCA to explore more of the park before our dinner reservations at the Wine Country Trattoria as part of the World of Color Dinner Package.
- Catch the early viewing of World of Color in our reserved viewing area.
- Another early morning for the Cars Land 5K Rally!
- After the race, head to Storyteller’s Cafe in the Grand Californian for breakfast. This reminds me of my Whispering Canyon post WDW 5K breakfast tradition 🙂
- Relax by the pool for a bit to rest the legs for the big race tomorrow.
- Return to DL to experience many of the attractions! I definitely want to savor everything in this park.
- Have an early dinner at the Blue Bayou. The menu looks pretty heavy, but hopefully I can find some lighter fare. I really want to experience this restaurant!
- An even earlier morning for the Disneyland Half Marathon! The nice thing about this resort compared to WDW is that you don’t have to leave as much time to travel to the starting line, which means more sleep 🙂
- After having a killer PR for the race (this is a dream trip remember!), head back to the hotel for an ice bath and a nap!
- In the afternoon, return to DL and go Rancho del Zochalo for some fish tacos…my fav! Why can’t WDW have food like this?!
- Take in any attractions I missed in both DL and DCA, especially a walk around Cars Land at night.
- Have an amazing dinner with celebratory cocktails at the Carthay Circle Restaurant.
- Return to DL for the Magical fireworks show and Fantasmic to end an amazing trip!
- Sadly pack my bags as I get ready to check out and head home 🙁
- Take one last walk down Main Street USA and grab a quick breakfast at the Jolly Holiday Bakery before having to head back to the airport for my early afternoon flight home.