Posts Tagged by top of the world
|June 30, 2014||Posted by Running at Disney under Walt Disney World|
The Contemporary Resort is a classic fixture at Walt Disney World. Even after 40+ years, it’s 70’s era charm still seems, well contemporary, in a nostalgic sort of way. And who doesn’t love gliding through the lobby on the monorail or looking down on the Magic Kingdom from California Grill? The perks of this resort just go on and on. So in 2008 when the announcement that a new Disney Vacation Club (DVC) property was being built as part of the resort, Disney fans were thrilled! This was the perfect addition to the Contemporary and the DVC resort group!
The Grand Villas at Bay Lake Tower are all two stories and located on the top 2 floors of the building. These are perfect for a big family getaway or a runDisney race weekend with friends, which is when I stayed there. Let’s go inside!!
Living Room & Kitchen
The first thing you’ll notice when you enter the villa are the GIANT windows! The windows are two stories and look out over Bay Lake or the Magic Kingdom. While the furniture isn’t the most comfortable (most contemporary designs really aren’t in my opinion), the views make you forget about that. Well that and the large flat screen TV 🙂
I just LOVE LOVE LOVE the kitchens at Bay Lake Tower. Look at this thing! Stainless steel appliances, granite counter tops, tons of cabinets…how do I bring this home??
Our villa had a Lake View, so we were able to watch the Contemporary Resort marina and see Epcot and even all they way out to Downtown Disney!
The Master Bedroom is located on the first floor with a king-sized bed and a bathroom the size of my first apartment in NYC.
Look at this shower…I was dying to check out the rain feature! Sadly it wasn’t my room…
Second Floor Lounge
Heading upstairs there is another seating area to relax in. This was B’s favorite area 🙂
You can kind of see why…the couch is a little more welcoming than the one downstairs.
Also looking downstairs is pretty cool from up there!
The two bedrooms upstairs are virtually identical. They each have 2 queen beds, an over-sized closet, spa like bathrooms and their own balconies.
There are a lot of added bonuses to staying at one of these Grand Villas. First (and one of my favs!) is the laundry room. It’s not just a stackable washer and dryer in a closet like other resorts, but a full on laundry room. This is so perfect to wash all your nasty running clothes after a race before heading home!
Next is the additional bathroom on the first floor. When staying with multiple people it’s nice to have a bathroom off of the living room to quickly use if your bedroom is upstairs. Oh and by the way, that make 4 full bathrooms. That’s 3 more than I have in my home!!!
If you have a lake view villa (which I actually prefer!), you get your own “private” show of the Electrical Water Pageant. You just can’t been that music 🙂
And last but certainly not least, because the 2nd floor of the villa is on the 16th floor there is easy access to my favorite lounge on property…Top of the World! It really is the best place to end a magical day at Walt Disney World 🙂
I can’t say enough good things about the Grand Villa at Bay Lake Tower. Basically, I’d just like to move into one. Or at the very least stay there for every runDisney race weekend. Now how to win that DVC lottery???
Which DVC Grand Villa would you most like to stay in?
|November 1, 2013||Posted by Running at Disney under Disney Dining, Epcot Food & Wine Festival, Friday Feast|
Epcot’s International Food & Wine Festival is by far my favorite time of year in Walt Disney World. Wait…have I said that before?? 🙂 So of course I was incredibly excited when my good friend Rick asked me to join him at some of the booths to film a few episodes of his series Travel With Rick. Food, wine, beer, Disney and friends…um YES PLEASE!
So here is where I got to visit (I’ve highlighted everything I tried):
This was the 2nd year that I was able to review this booth and this year I have mixed feelings. While I really enjoyed the selection of cheeses, the blue cheese souffle was odd and now very appetizing. Here are all of the offerings:
- Almond Crusted Blue Cheese Soufflé with Fig Jam
- Artisan Cheese Selection: Flagship Reserve Cheddar, La Bonne Vie Triple Crème Brie, Wijngaard Goats Gouda
- Once Upon a Vine’s The Lost Slipper Sauvignon Blanc
- Once Upon a Vine’s The Fairest Chardonnay
- Once Upon a Vine’s The Big Bad Red Blend
- Once Upon a Vine’s A Charming Pinot
You can rarely go wrong with France and this year was no exception. I was a big fan of almost everything…Rick even got me to try the escargot! Here’s what they have:
- Escargots Persillade en Brioche (Garlic and Parsley Snails in Brioche)
- Boeuf Bourguignon (Braised Short Ribs in Cabernet with Mashed Potatoes)
- Crème Brûlée au Chocolat au Lait (Chocolate Milk Crème Brûlée topped with Caramelized Sugar)
- Beer Kronenbourg Blanc
- Chardonnay, Macon-Villages, La Côte Blanche
- Cabernet Sauvignon, Bordeaux, Château Bonnet
- Sparkling Pomegranate Kir
- Eiffel Sour Cosmo Slush (Vodka, Grey Goose Cherry Noir, Grand Marnier, Cranberry Juice)
This booth is new this year and is definitely one of my favorites. There wasn’t one thing that I didn’t enjoy here and really, how can you go wrong with Scotch?! Get all of these things:
- Seared Scottish Salmon with Cauliflower Puree, Watercress and Malt Vinaigrette
- Vegetarian Haggis with Neeps and Tatties-Griddled Vegetable Cake with Rutabaga and Mashed Potatoes
- Scottish Banoffee Tart with Bananas, Scottish Whisky Toffee, Walkers Shortbread Crumbles and Sweet Cream
- Innis & Gunn® Original
- Loch Lomond featuring Glenfiddich® 12 year
- Glenfiddich® Scotch Flight (12, 15 and 18 year)
Always a winner in my book and it’s even more fun when I get to share beer flights with my girl Amanda. We tried all the beers!
- Beer Flight 1: Dogfish Head Brewery Namaste, Abita Brewing Company Fall Fest, Leinenkugel’s® Seasonal Shandy, Florida Beer Company Devil’s Triangle
- Beer Flight 2: New Belgium Brewing Company Fat Tire, Widmer Brother s Brewing Alchemy Ale, Red Hook Audible Ale, Sierra Nevada Torpedo®