Posts Tagged by bloggers
|January 28, 2013||Posted by Running at Disney under Miscellaneous|
Huge thanks to Pam & Christine at We Run Disney for nominating me for a Liebster Award. I really enjoyed getting to know them better when they were nominated and I’m honored that they want to get to know more about me and RAD 🙂
“The scoop on the Liebster award is that bloggers nominate other bloggers with 200 or less followers. Liebester means ‘favorite’ in German, so bloggers are to promote their favorite blogs, which will help others find new ones! If you are nominated, you have to follow the rules below and nominate 11 more blogs to keep the fun going!!” What a fun way to network and expand the blogging community!
Here are the rules for nominees:
- List 11 facts about yourself.
- Answer the 11 questions given to you.
- Create 11 new questions for the bloggers you nominate for the award.
- Choose 11 bloggers with 200 or less followers to nominate.
- Go to each bloggers page and let them know about the award.
- Thank the person who nominated you and link back to their blog.
Ok…let’s do this. This will probably be more information than you’ve ever wanted to know about me.
11 facts about me!
- I was born and raised in NJ and will always be a Jersey girl at heart.
- I have 2 tattoos and really want to get more.
- I could very easily become a crazy cat lady.
- I don’t really enjoy running…I do it because I can.
- I have a terrible fear of flying.
- I have my Bachelors from NYU and my MBA from UConn.
- I work for a small non-profit association.
- I have a type-A personality and love planning…events, trips, parties, you name it!
- I drive a black Jetta with over 117,000 miles that is named Gretta the German Jetta…she is awesome!
- I’m obsessed with taking photos of food and my cats…I have almost 7,000 pictures on my phone.
- I’ve been married for 3 years and 4 months to my best friend and soul mate. I’m a lucky gal 🙂
Answers to Pam & Christine’s questions:
- What is your favorite race? Disney’s Wine & Dine Half Marathon…there is food & booze at the finish, duh!
- When did you start getting serious about training? October 2011 for the 2012 Princess Half Marathon
- What is your favorite time of year? Spring – Warmer weather and my birthday!!
- When is your birthday? Speaking of birthdays…March 20th
- What is your favorite vacation spot? Walt Disney World of course!
- How many different places have your lived? I’ve lived in 16 different homes…that’s a lot of moving!
- Do you have a favorite meal? Anything Mexican…tacos, enchiladas, chips & salsa, margaritas YUM!
- How many siblings do you have? None, I’m an only child
- What is your favorite cheat food? Probably pizza, or cupcakes, or cake, or massive amounts of BBQ, or….
- Fun fact few people know about you! I met Jerry Garcia when I was 13 years old
- Why did you start blogging? I started RAD to hold myself accountable for my training, but it has turned into something I love and couldn’t imagine ever stopping.
Now enough about me…I want to hear from some of my favorite bloggers! This has nothing to do with followers (because I’m not sure what followers we’re talking about…Facebook, Twitter, RSS, email subscriptions ..what??), these are just people that I respect in the blogging community and would love to get to know better 🙂
I nominate the following for a Liebster Award:
- Estelle from This Happy Place Blog
- Jenn from Eat, Sleep, Run Disney
- Melissa from Mouse on the Mind
- Katherine from Food, Fitness, Fantasy
- Krysten from The Misadventures of a Darwinian Fail
- Jeff from LEG + JCB
- Krissy from Shiawase Life
- Gabby from Gabby’s Gluten-Free
- Courtney at Journey of a Dreamer
- Alexandra from Pop, Fit, Life
- Kim from Philly Running Girl
Here are my questions for my nominated bloggers:
- Why did you start blogging?
- What motivates you?
- Do you have pets?
- Do you have a favorite way to exercise?
- How do you deal with stress?
- What is your favorite food?
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
- What is on top of your bucket list?
- Who inspires you?
- Who is your favorite Disney character and why?
- What is your favorite post on your blog?
Thanks again to We Run Disney for nominating me!
|August 23, 2012||Posted by Running at Disney under Miscellaneous|
A 7:15 am alarm is a little early for me on a Saturday, especially after not going to sleep until close to 1:00 am. But I was excited for the day ahead and my stomach was growling, so I was anxious to get downstairs. I found the wonderful group of ladies that I met at the cocktail party (Beth, Kim, Laisha and Jamie) and immediately hit the buffet.
Breakfast was sponsored and developed by Wild Harvest and it was amazing! The options were both healthy and delicious, which is rare for most hotel catering.
The Greek Inspired Egg Scramble was developed by Kelly of Cupcake Kelly’s as part of the HLS Breakfast Showdown. Conference registrants were given the opportunity to incorporate 10 Wild Harvest ingredients into an original breakfast recipe. Kelly was the big winner and she received a $500 gift card to any Supervalu store. Congrats Kelly, your dish was fantastic!! Make sure to check out all of the submissions in the showdown…there are some great recipes.
After breakfast, the planning committee kicked off the summit with some opening remarks and by thanking all of the great sponsors. The list was very impressive: Wild Harvest, Reebok, Cherribuni, Drink Chia, Happy Family Brands, Energy Bits, Reebootizer and more!
We then all broke into small groups of about 10 for some introduction icebreakers. The facilitator for my group, Rachel Wilkerson, asked us a bunch of questions like “What is your favorite condiment?” (dijon mustard) and “What is something risky you would do if there were no consequences?” (skydiving). While these types of exercises are not my favorite, if was fun to find out a little more about my fellow bloggers.
Everyone then headed down the hall to the CrossFit WOD (Workout of the Day) with Reebok. I was bummed to not take part in this, but I still got these awesome headbands.
The WOD was led by CrossFit Games competitor Jared Davis and a team of coaches from around New England. The room was packed and there wasn’t much room for most exercises, so the WOD consisted of a 5 minute AMRAP of 7 air squats and 15 jumps. It was pretty basic, but I heard a few people saying they could hardly walk when they were leaving. So I guess it was a good introduction to CrossFit…
We had a short break so everyone could freshen up and then the sessions began…yay! The first session I attended was Blog Photog Basics with Gretchen Powell of Honey, I Shrunk the Gretchen. The title of the program was “Just Say No…to On-Camera Flash,” which I noticed after I took the photo below with a flash. Duh…
I actually learned a TON at this session. I’m a newbie photographer and never knew much about aperture, ISO, white balance, etc… I have a DSLR, but I clearly haven’t been using it properly. Gretchen shared some great tips on how to utilize natural light, what the best tripods are, and good editing software to use. I even improved my photographs during the session! Check it out:
You can clearly see a big difference in these 2 photos. I still have a long way to go to perfect my photos, but this was a huge help in leading me in the right direction.
The next session was the one I was looking forward to the most, Blogging with Brands. This was a panel discussion led by Lauren of Say What You Need To Say and included 3 bloggers (Theodora, Ashley and Anne) and 3 brands (FitFluential, Dancing Deer Bakery and Porter Novelli) who discussed the various aspects of working with brands on your blog. They answered the questions: “How do you make money?” “How do you get paid?” “How do you get free stuff?” These are all things many of us are wondering.
Other great takeaways from this session were knowing the parameters of brand agreements, what brands are looking for in bloggers, and what to do if you don’t like the product. It was great to hear the perspective from both the blogger side and the brand side, and what has and hasn’t worked for them in the past. This session left me really excited about all of the opportunities out there and gave me the courage to ask for what I want.
And that brings us to lunch…super yummy lunch! But I’m going to leave that for another day 🙂 Stay tuned for Part 3 on lunch, the afternoon sessions and wrap up!
|August 18, 2012||Posted by Running at Disney under Miscellaneous|
This weekend I’m at the Healthy Living Summit in Boston. The conference is for bloggers and blog readers who focus the various aspects of healthy living, including fitness, food and well-being. If yesterday’s pre-conference was any indication on what is in store today, I can’t wait!! I think I’m most looking forward to the session on Blogging with Brands with Kelly Olexa from FitFluential and longingly watching everyone do a CrossFit workout this morning with Reebok.
Click here to view the entire agenda for the day and make sure to follow #HLS12 on Twitter for updates throughout the day. Now I have to go get ready for what I’m sure will be a healthy and yummy breakfast! Full updates to follow later this week 🙂