Yoga for Runners: Happy Hips Part 2
|October 1, 2014||Posted by Running at Disney under Guest Posts, Yoga for Runners|
runDisney race season has officially began and I know many of you are getting ready to run soon! Now it’s more important than ever to make sure you are taking care of all of your joints, especially your hips. Danielle is back this month with more stretches to keep your hips happy! The best part is that you can do these while longing around with the family.
This past weekend I ran a half marathon, didn’t stretch at all, got right in the car and drove 3 hours to get to my cousin’s wedding and let me tell you by the next morning my hips were killing me!
If you follow me on Instagram you may have seen this picture already, but Sunday morning I sat out on the deck doing a few simple stretches and realized they would be great to share with the Running at Disney readers!
The best part about these two poses, is that they’re quick and easy to do even while you’re just sitting and watching TV!
Cow Face Pose
- begin seated crossing one leg over the other with knees stacked directly on top of one another
- bring heels back and in towards hips
- to deepen the stretch (ONLY if this is not already enough!) begin to fold forward hinging at the hips
- hold for 1 minute, uncross legs and repeat on the other side
Fire Log Pose
- begin seated crossing one leg over the other with shins stacked directly on top of one another and ankle to knee alignment (left ankle on right knee and left knee on right ankle)
- to deepen the stretch elongate your spine and fold forward hinging at the hips (not rounding the back)
- hold for 1 minute, uncross legs and repeat on other side
Happy Running & Happy Hips!