Final Race Information for the 2013 Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend
|October 16, 2013||Posted by Running at Disney under runDisney Races, Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend|
We are now just over 3 weeks away from the 2013 Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend!! This is my favorite Disney race and I can’t wait!
As with all runDisney weekends, they begin with a trip to the Health & Fitness Expo. The Expo will take place at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex (WWOS) on Friday, November 8th from 10:00 am – 7:00 pm and Saturday, November 9th from 9:00 am – 3:00 pm. All race participants MUST attend the expo to turn in signed waivers (click here to print your waiver) and pick-up race packets, which include your race bib with B-Tag timing devices, race shirt, $10 gift card and clear plastic bag which is used for bag check during the race. This is also where you will receive any commemorative items you may have purchased during registration. If you are unable to attend the expo, you can print authorization forms here and have someone pick up your packets. Participants for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon, Mickey’s Jingle Jungle 5K, and the Disney Kid’s Races all MUST go to packet pick-up.
Now, on to the information you will need for Race Day.
- Host Resort Transportation The following are a list of host resorts where buses will be available to bring participants to and from ALL events surrounding the Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend. This includes the Expo, half marathon, 5K, kids races, and after party. For the Wine & Dine Half Marathon, runners must be on a bus by 8:00 pm to ensure they make it into their corrals on-time at WWOS. Shuttle service will be suspended between 9:00 pm and 10:00 pm because of road closures, but will recommence at 10:00 for the Finish Line After Party at Epcot.
- Disney’s All-Star Movies Resort
- Disney’s All-Star Music Resort
- Disney’s All-Star Sports Resort
- Disney’s Beach Club Resort
- Disney’s Boardwalk Resort
- Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort
- Disney’s Polynesian Resort
- Disney’s Pop Century Resort
- Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – French Quarter
- Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – Riverside
- Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort
- Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
- Disney’s Yacht Club Resort
- Driving Directions If not staying at a host resort, participants will need to provide their own transportation to all events. An important thing to note is that there will be NO parking or guest drop off at WWOS (race start) on the evening of the race. Runners and spectators will need to park at the Epcot and take shuttles to WWOS. Runners must be on a shuttle by 8:00 pm, so make sure to leave extra time to park your car and wait in line for a shuttle. Good news is that the parking fee will be waived for runners and spectators arriving at Epcot after 6:00 pm.
- Costumes This is one of the best parts of Disney races…the costumes! Runners get so creative and it’s so fun to see. Please note that runners are NOT allowed to wear a face mask of any kind and will be removed from the course if this is violated.
- Bag Check Participants must use the clear bag provided at the expo to check any belongings during the race and affix the label with their bib number on the outside. Bag check opens at 7:00 pm in the staging area at WWOS and all bags must be checked by 9:00 pm. Bags will then be transported to Epcot and available for pick-up at in the finish line area beginning at 11:00 pm. They must be claimed by 2:30 am on the morning of November 10th. Unclaimed bags will be moved to Epcot Guest Relations. I have to admit that I was a little apprehensive last year about the transportation aspect of this, but everything went smoothly.
- Start Corrals The start corrals are located along Victory Way at WWOS. The race begins promptly at 10:00 pm, so you will want to leave enough time to get into your corral. Your corral will be listed on your race bib and you will only be granted access to that corral or one behind you. You can find your corral placement by printing your waiver and finding the corresponding corral for your bib number. I will be in Corral I, so make sure to come say hi!
- Starting Times We saw the new shorter start time windows for The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler and that is continuing on for this race. The following are scheduled start times for the corrals at WWOS:
- 9:58 pm – Wheelchair Start
- 10:00 pm – Corral A Start
- 10:02 pm – Corral B Start
- 10:04 pm – Corral C Start
- 10:06 pm – Corral D Start
- 10:09 pm – Corral E Start
- 10:12 pm – Corral F Start
- 10:15 pm – Corral G Start
- 10:19 pm – Corral H Start
- 10:23 pm – Corral I Start
- 10:28 pm – Corral J Start
- 10:33 pm – Corral K Start
- 10:40 pm – Corral L Start
- Race Bibs Bibs must be centered on the front of your shirt. Safety pins will be provided in your race packet at the expo. Do not bend our fold your bib, as the ChronoTrack B-tag will be affixed to the back of the bib which will be used to track your time. If your bib is not properly centered, damaged or covered, your time may not be recorded properly. Your bib will also be used for the on course photographers, so make sure the number is clearly visible. This race has GREAT photo ops so don’t miss out!
- Pacing Requirements Remember, you must keep a minimum of 16-minutes per mile throughout the race or you will run the risk of being picked up and brought to the finish line. Keep this in mind if you a planning to stop for character photos. Those lines can get long and it’s easy to lose track of time. Pace cyclists will be on the course to let you know if you have fallen behind.
- Changing Tents Changing areas will be available in the finish line area at Epcot so you can get out of those sweaty clothes to enjoy the Food & Wine Festival. They can get a bit crowded, along with the restrooms near the entrance to Epcot. Tip: Head a bit farther into the park and use the restrooms in there to change…no lines!
- Finish Line Moving the finish line to the Epcot parking lot last year worked really well. The flow was great and the overcrowding issues of years past were non-existent. I’m glad to see they kept this set up this year.