Packing for Race Weekends
|August 27, 2013||Posted by Running at Disney under runDisney Races, Running Gear|
I’ve been asked by a few people who are getting ready for Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend what I pack for big race events. It has taken quite a few races to get that nailed down, but I think after having traveled for 8 different race weekends I finally have a pretty solid packing list. SO I wanted to share it with you to help you a long to way if you are struggling with what to bring.
Now this is subjective for everyone, but here is what I bring when running multiple races in a weekend:
- 2 Pairs Running Shorts –I stick with my favorite Bermuda Shorts from Moving Comfort
- 1 Pair of Capris – Also from Moving Comfort and better for shorter runs where I won’t be so hot
- 3 Running Tanks – I will only run in moisture wicking tanks tops, so I go with my favorite 3 at the moment
- 3 Sports Bras – I currently have different bras for different distances, so I go with what I think I’ll need
- 3 Pairs of Sport Underwear – If you haven’t noticed, I love ALL moisture wicking materials, even for my underwear! These are a must have! No one like soggy undies…
- 4 Headbands – I can’t run long distances without my Bondi Bands. They are thick enough to hold all of my wispy hairs back and they are also moisture wicking which is a super bonus for me!
- Hair Ties – A given for anyone with longer hair…
- 3 Wristbands – I LOVE this thick wristbands from Under Armour that helps to wipe away my sweat during a race!! I won’t do any type of exercise without one.
- Fuel Belts – For half marathons or longer, I run with 2 fuel belts (strange, I know). I love my Amphipod for it’s large water bottles and storage pocket for all my fuel. I also like the iFitness belt to hold my phone and race bib so I don’t have to pin it to my shirt.
- Gu – Chocolate Outrage has always been my go to fuel. I always bring enough with me for all the races because you never know what will be available at the expo or on the course.
- iPod Shuffle & Headphones – I need some sort of music to keep me going, but always keep the volume low!
- Garmin – Even though I’ve been using my Polar RC3 GPS lately to watch my heart rate, I’m much more comfortable with my Garmin Forerunner 405 for races.
- KT Tape – I often suffer from posterior shin splints, so I always bring my KT Tape to avoid any issues during the race.
- Body Glide – I always apply generous amounts of Body Glide in any areas that I think might chafe…under my sports bra, along my waist, my inner thighs…it’s a MUST!
- Sunscreen – This is definitely needed for morning races. You may be starting off in the dark, but that sun rises quickly!
Things for the Feet
I need to bring a variety of shoes during a race weekend. Yes, there are my running shoes but there are a few other items that are a necessity to keep my feet happy!
- Running Shoes – I always wear my running shoes on the plane whenever I travel for a race. Who knows what could happen to your luggage while traveling and the last thing you want is for your shoes to get lost. You can always buy new clothes at the expo, but shoes are a different story.
- Park Touring Shoes – For Disney races, I always bring a separate pair of shoes to tour the parks. My Reebok CrossFit Nano 2.0s are my favorites for just walking around.
- Flip Flops – These are a necessity for after the race. I usually check a pair of flip flops at bag check so I can take my sneakers off right after the race.
- Socks – Good running socks are key and I love my Balega Enduro No Shows. And for walking around, my go to socks are the Reebok CrossFit No Shows.
- Blister Care – Blisters are a runners worst enemy! Before each race, I cover my feet in Dr. Scholl’s BlisterDefense to help prevent any issues during the race. I also bring blister bandages with me incase any do form.
- Foot Wheel – This little gadget is great for soothing tired feet and hardly takes up any room in your luggage.
Post Race Necessities
Recovery is very important while traveling, especially if you plan on touring Disney parks post race or if you are jumping on a plane shortly after. You want to be comfortable! Here’s what I bring with me to make sure my tired legs recover as quickly as possible:
- Compression Gear – I swear by my compression gear post race. I basically live in my Zoot compression sleeves and Aspaeris Pivot Shorts. It’s like a nice hug for your legs 🙂
- Comfy Post Race Outfit – I typically sport a maxi dress after my races so I can wear all my compression gear underneath with ease!
- The Stick – Great for rolling out tight muscles.
- Stretch Strap – Helps to get some deep stretches and really helps with my tight hips.
- BioFreeze – This usually isn’t needed, but I bring it just in case!
- Tylenol/Motrin – Self explanatory…
That pretty much covers all my race needs. It’s a lot to pack and bring with you, but I always like to have all my bases covered. Hope this was helpful as you get ready to race!
Do you have any race weekend necessities that I left out?