Recently, five Olympic hopefuls began team training at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in Walt Disney World for London 2012. The team is led by Coach Brooks Johnson who has been training Olympic athletes for over 40 years. He chose the group because in his many years of coaching he has found that “chemistry makes an awful lot of difference” in a training team.
The hopefuls are made up of:
- David Oliver (110 meter hurdles) – Olympic Bronze Medalist (2008 Beijing); three-time USA outdoor champion (2008, 2010, 2012); twice set the American 110-meter hurdles record (2010).
- David Payne (110 meter hurdles) – Olympic Silver Medalist (2008 Beijing); first place at USA Outdoor Championships (2009).
- Tiffany Ross Williams (400 meter hurdles) – finished first at the US Olympic Trials (2008); first place at Visa Outdoor Championships and the USA Outdoor Championships (2007).
- Consuella “Connie” Moore (100 and 200 meters) – qualified as a member of US Olympic women’s 4×100 meter relay team (2004 Athens); first place at USA Outdoor Championships 200 meters (2010); coming off an injury in 2011.
- April Holmes (100, 200 and 400 meters) – reigning Paralympics world record holder in the 100, 200 and 400 meter sprints; top contender for multiple gold medals at the Paralympic Games in London this summer; Paralympic 100 meter gold medalist (2008); first female athlete to be signed by the Michael Jordan apparel brand.
Olympic athletes train at the ESPN Wide World of Sports complex year round and are usually out in the late mornings. The team will be leaving at the end of the week to head out to Portland, OR for the Olympic Trials, but should be back some time in July. So next time you are at Walt Disney World, take some time to head over an see some incredible athleticism at work.